As much as you love staying outdoors at any given time of the day or on any occasion with your outdoor furniture, they cannot just weather the weather. The home remodeling architects can give you tips about how to maintain and protect your furnishings during this cold season.
Enjoying A Cold Alfresco Hangout
Oh, you definitely love your new patio and backyard pieces of furniture every summer, fall, and spring. But come winter, the cold, snow, and frosty rain, your garden furniture might not be able to keep up with the weather. This is the main reason why it is important to take into consideration on how to secure your outdoor furniture to lengthen their life.
The Various Outdoor Furniture Materials And How To Maintain Them
There are different types of materials used to create an attractive and decent backyard table, chairs, and other furnishings and décor, and because of that, there are also different ways on how to protect them.
WOODEN PATIO FURNISHING
- During winter, woods can freeze due to the cold, moisture, which causes them to crack sometimes. This is why sealing wood is being advised all year round to protect them when the winter season arrives. Compared to raw wood, the frigid rain and the snow won’t easily be absorbed by the wood that is properly sealed. Covering your furniture is also a great way to keep the ice and snow from soaking into the wood. But do remember that wood sealing should be done often because moisture can still be absorbed by the wood through the air.
Most homeowners experience disposing of their wooden backyard furniture after a couple years and spend another couple of bucks just to get another set of new outdoor comfortable seating. If you are purchasing one see to it that it’s made from teak because it’s sturdier and can endure inconsistent temperatures and moisture. With a little more care and you will be enjoying your furniture for God knows when.
RECYCLED PLASTIC OUTDOOR FURNITURE
- Since it’s plastic, furniture made from these materials does not have the capacity to absorb moisture. But, the freezing winter weather can make plastic brittle causing them to crack and break easily. The thing that you will love about plastic furniture is their being lightweight, easy to place anywhere, and stackable – meaning you can easily keep and store them when the weather gets crazy.
Again, it is better to cover your plastic furniture if you cannot store them inside, like your dining and coffee sets. Doing this can make them last for a long time.
WROUGHT IRON OUTDOOR FURNITURE
- This kind of furniture should never be left out during crazy weather by any circumstance because it can easily rust. The moment rust starts to form, it will weaken then furniture until the metal breaks. For the most part, galvanized metal is better than the standard metal, however, it can also suffer the same fate if exposed in the snow for a long time.
Proper storage of your patio comfort possession is what will keep your iron/metal furnishings to last long. Bringing them indoors during rainy and winter season can protect them definitely, although, they can weigh a ton.
CAST ALUMINUM BACKYARD SET
- Now, this is one of the best material you can have for an outdoor hangout set. Cast aluminum is rust proof, therefore it is durable and can withstand all kinds of weather. You also don’t have to worry about moisture because it will only repel. Plus, it is also lightweight, so if you are worried that it can still be damaged by nasty weather then you can always bring them in anytime. There are a lot of covers available in the market should you just keep them outdoors.
THROW PILLOW AND CUSHIONS
- Furniture sets nowadays prefer removable cushions or pillows to easily keep them when not in use. During the winter season, you can either keep them indoors, place them in a shaded corner of your patio, or a secured storage box. Since they are made of fabrics, they can easily wear once exposed to snow or rain. Also, the inside stuffings can easily allow mildew and mold to thrive and would not like that to happen. During the dry season, you can just cover them with plastic just to protect them from dust and other outdoor elements.
Outdoor furniture can really add glamour to your garden and can definitely add an inviting stature to your home. The outdoor remodeling DC team will be pleased to help you with ornaments and other furnishings that can make your garden a relaxing alfresco spot. With that being said, it is now up to you on how you are going to maintain and protect them from wearing away too soon. Having a disposable outdoor set is not what you have in mind, right?